Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Colour Stories : Red post








Starting with a colour that dominates most of the living and entertaining areas in the house. We chose Red. It comes in all shades -right from the more somber, earthy maroon and terracotta to the most vivacious deep red. Is cheerful. Goes well with the dark, natural wood surfaces and textiles I was going to pair the walls with. Is very Indian- Think Wedding saree, think tilak, rangoli, sindoor, mauli- Above all because, most reds contrast wonderfully with Black -the other wall colour on my pallet for the area- so a no brainer really.


Here is the color pallet for the living dining and entertainment areas...


The red, in shades of terracotta and deep red are paired with charcoal black and soft white for the walls, and taupe on wooden surfaces like doors and windows.

Posting the final look below.


(above): view of the Living room from the foyer. The wall sports a terracotta red.



In the family room, which is used for watching television or casual entertaining, the colours are a brighter red and black..This is the area I chose to paint myself... three coats of absolute fun and zen, which is befitting, because the area itself has a very calming feel to it , inspite of the loud  red on the walls...  

The dining area offset against a terracotta wall, has a more formal- earthy look.

A red lacquer shoe cabinet contrasts  with a charcoal black wall at the entrance.

16 comments:

~ ॐ ~ said...

I am the loving it! If I come to Bombay, I am going to do a photo essay on your house :)

Vineeta said...

Chandan, absolute gorgeousness! I am inviting myself over. Let fix a date and have that cup of tea, conversation & photography :)

pRiyA said...

Wow! I am floored by this. Bold, bold, BOLD! Red and Black are my two favourite colours. You have guts to do this woman. I love it!

Vasudha Narasimhan said...

beautiful chandan!!!! with a touch of gold...it will be truly oriental!!! great job

Sarmistha said...

enigmatic !!I felt an influence of the esat Asia parts of your travels...like the post you have written abt your train travel thru china !!Like Vasu said a touch of gold will oompf it up more :)Loving it massively and waiting to see more.

Geetha said...

This is what I would call bold & beautiful! I would have never gone for charcoal. I can not think of black on walls...! But this....you have done a fabulous job! Modern Asian!

My Inspired Reality said...

As a colorist, all I can say is WOW!! Absolutely stunning:)

Anonymous said...

This is Beautiful Chandan! Very Eye Catching :)

Chandan said...

Thanks for all your feedback guys!
Prashant : first step- come to Mumbai
Vee: Temme when?!!
P?: :)))) I am gutsy cuz of gutsy friends like you!
Lovely idea Vasudha!.. Gold does add to this space.. i use a lot brass and bronze in the space only, cuz my furniture is heavily textured and old, I keep the brash a little tarnished, for the dull patina..
Thanks for bothering with what I write Sarmishta- thats where my hear is :)
Thanks Geetha!, thats exactly what my painter was telling me... "Why you want Kala on your Deewar madam?" :)) but I kind of like the combination of the black with the other three colours, also used in little doses it can be dramatic..
Thanks Kala! a colorist approves? yay!!
Thanks Sensitive Creations, thanks for dropping by :))

Nayana said...

gorgeous..bold color choices and it looks so beautiful..following you.

Chandan said...

Hi Nayna! Thanks for dropping by..

Nayana said...

Hey Chandan, I got inspired from your eco gift wrapping idea and wrapped a gift using newspaper, check out my post. Thanks for great ideas :)

Anonymous said...

*sigh* Your home is coming up beautifully... Its truly gorgeous!!

Sanghamitra Bhattacherjee(Mukherjee) said...

Wonderful work Chandan! Bold and beautiful! Love your oriental touch on your home. Very inspiring!
Hope to see you on my blog...sometime:)

Have a lovely week.

Anonymous said...

Those 4 colors is perfect for your room.




Laby[big mens suit

Anita said...

Great color scheme! What is the color brand/name on your red wall?

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin