Thursday, February 12, 2009

Tagged

I have been tagged... Its been a month since blogger buddies, Dithi and  Jagriti  urged me to put down six things about me  before I could pass on the pickle to another six people.
Although it sounds easy, I have taken my time with this one. If  there are only six things to say, like only six things mattered, what would one say and what would one leave out? 
Instead of spending too much time procrastinating about what it will be and why, I'll post pictures of six things I made at pottery class a few years ago.

What is important about these six things is  that they are really bad, quite the opposite of the magnificent artistic game plan with which I approached them. Please understand that these misadventures in amateurish shapes and awful glazes are more about the love than success.

Despite my perseverance and complete dedication, I never graduated beyond hand-building. The few sessions I spent in the studio were usually a complete waste of time, but how I enjoyed myself!
Beating mounds of hardened clay down to smooth malleability, the squish and slurp of slurry.. the hours of contemplating singular shapes, the intense meditation it is possible to achieve and the labour of it all.. Sometimes after the class, the only thing that would bring me back from the pure state of zen I'd achieve in the preceding two hours was the sight of the monstrosity staring back at me from the work table.

So it is with a lot of courage and apprehension that I will unveil if only for the sake of the tag, six terrifying signs of a failed potter... again and again,  you are urged to look on only at the love. 











Now for the six people who I am going to pass the tag on to,
and

Rules

1. Link to the person who tagged you.
2. Post the rules on your blog.
3. Write six random things about yourself.
4. Tag six people at the end of your post and link to them.
5. Let each person know they’ve been tagged and leave a comment on their blog.

6. Let the tagger know when your entry is up.

There guys, happy tagging and happier blogging.

18 comments:

pRiyA said...

Aaargh! How could you do this to me?

But your post is so funny to read and I LOVE the pots, all of them! They look good enough to me.

Vineeta said...

You are crazy Chandan!!! These are so neat!!! not just neat, they are darling! and the whole point of pottery is the individuality & the (if I may say so) the irregularity of each shape that can never be duplicated.
The pics are amazing. I LOVED that piece with the coin embedded in it & the 1st pic with the fish motif plate, the leaf incense holder. Beautiful each one of them. This comes at a time when I'm contemplating learning pottery. I will see it as a sign to just go ahead anyway :)

Archana Srinivas Pottery said...

Are you kidding me....these really are works of art!!

POTTERY is one thing I really want to try...someday!

beautiful!

Arch

bindu said...

All pieces re really beautiful, so I don't know what you're talking about. But the post was funny!

Dithi said...

Hey Chandan! Glad you made this post:)! Your pottery is very pretty. The one with the chinese coin is my fav, though I think all of them are lovely!

Sherri said...

ah, you got me, huh?

Never been tagged in my short blogging life, but it sounds like fun.

My favorite are the spice boxes. Your pottery is so far from being monstrocities!

sanely insane said...

oee the things u made look good

ainwehi :P

Shalini said...

Wow, these are all great pieces Chandan! Each one is different and unique.

Jagriti said...

These are just so amazing..!! the way u have photographed them is awesome..i could actually feel the smell of the incense! would love to see more of ur "monstrous" work :) keep posting..!

Chandan said...

Thanks for all the compliments guys, each one of you... I have to say that I am slightly better photographer than a potter... have employed a trick or two I know about making things look good in an image ;-)
was kind of hoping somebody would say that, but you all are the sweetest....
CHEERS!
C

Rajee Sood said...

Trick or two there always can be to photography... Chandan...but I think all out here speak from an artists heart ... and there another on says... they are really good ... I love the spice boxes ... would love them in my Kitchen,;D ...
Thanks for dropping by at my blog...

Bhavna Bhatnagar said...

I adore those blue spice boxes! :)

Unknown said...

Oh, these are lovely...You are so creative! Rekha

Sagar Kolte said...

You call those pots misadventures? I don't understand, they look lovely.

megha puNAter" said...

your pottery is stunning, chandan.
fun post this one and your home is really beautiful.
i loved the fish platter.oh how i miss pottery,should get back to it some time.

Dithi said...

Hey Chandan! Big hug n Thanks for the lovely birthday wish and the participation in my Give-Away! Love. d.

Chandana Banerjee said...

Hi Chandan,

This is the first time i'm visiting your blog...loved the earthy and vibrant pictures. I especially liked the incense holder, and the Ganesha picture.

Meet you here often.

blue skies,
Chandana

Chandan said...

Rajee, Bhavana, Rekha, Megha, Dee, Sagar and Chandana, thanks a bunch for your interest and kind comments!
C

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin